Certificate/Keys Understandings/Findings - WeOnlyDo Discussion board

Certificate/Keys Understandings/Findings (General questions)

by Anyz, Wednesday, September 01, 2004, 10:33 (7185 days ago) @ Anyz

Here are my understanding/findings while using certificate for user authentication with wodFTDDLX. I am using wodFTXServer component as sftp server on win2000 server. Please correct me where i am wrong:

1- First of all certificates are just used for user authentication they have nothing to do with data encryption. SFTP protocol bening on top of SSH makes sure every data sent over wire is encrypted. Is it correct?

2- Possessing a Public Key mean a user has authority to connect server he/she don't need password in this case. Is it correct?

3- Right now i have used Action=Alow to let every user connect but user specifice keys can be generated and used for each user. How, plz guide me?

4- I generated a key according to steps u mentioned in one of you posting above and start server using that key. Using one of sample program provided with component i generated another key and used this new key to connect server. Server is connected successfully. Shouldn't these keys be related some how?? Both are private keys and generated dirrently. One used by server other by client but user is connected ???? How are these related??

Complete thread: