COleDispatchException only on some computers ? - WeOnlyDo Discussion board

COleDispatchException only on some computers ? (General questions)

by AFL, Tuesday, April 19, 2011, 06:46 (4778 days ago)

Hello,

We have a dll plugin for a software. It works well on 4 out of 5 computers in our office. But only on 1 computer, it gives Unhandled exception : COleDispatchException error and the application crashes. The PC where this problem is faced has Windows XP 32bit as OS - SP2 and all other computers in the office also have same OS (with one being Windows 7 - 32 bit). I know this plugin works well in all OS environments on many other computers apart from our office computers (with 32 bit / 64 bit OSs like XP and Windows 7) so I strongly feel it has got something to do with the configuration / settings of our computer.

What could be causing this problem and how to resolve this issue ?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

AFL

Re: COleDispatchException only on some computers ?

by wodDamir, Tuesday, April 19, 2011, 08:28 (4778 days ago) @ AFL

Hi AFL,

Is there any more details you could provide us? Can you catch the error and tell me what ErrorCode / ErrorText it gives?

You can also check LastError property for this purpose. What does it provide when this exception occurs?

Regards,
Damba

by AFL, Tuesday, April 19, 2011, 09:17 (4778 days ago) @ wodDamir

Hello Damba,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. The actual error code is wrapped by crash recover screen of the application and hence I am not able to provide you with the details you want. But I just found out a way to disable their crash recovery process so that I can access raw error code and other details. I will follow the same and come back to you asap.

Regards,

AFL

Hi AFL,

Is there any more details you could provide us? Can you catch the error and tell me what ErrorCode / ErrorText it gives?

You can also check LastError property for this purpose. What does it provide when this exception occurs?

Regards,
Damba

by AFL, Thursday, April 21, 2011, 07:40 (4776 days ago) @ AFL

Hello,

The issue is resolved. The plugin used some voice related functionality for which the underlying application uses Microsoft Speech API (which is an OLE interface). On those computers where sound device is not found / not installed, OleException is thrown by Speech API. The plugin worked fine on those computers where sound device was working fine but on this particular computer, the sound device was not working. By disabling sound related functionality of the plugin, we are able to use the same plugin on same computer now.

Damba - thank you once again for your readiness to help.

Best Regards,

AFL

Hello Damba,

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. The actual error code is wrapped by crash recover screen of the application and hence I am not able to provide you with the details you want. But I just found out a way to disable their crash recovery process so that I can access raw error code and other details. I will follow the same and come back to you asap.

Regards,

AFL

Hi AFL,

Regards,
Damba