WOD sFTP testing - WeOnlyDo Discussion board

WOD sFTP testing (wodSFTP / wodSFTP.NET / wodSFTPdll)

by Maggie, Friday, August 08, 2008, 00:42 (5750 days ago)

I am using WODSFTP Active X version 2.2.3.22 in Delphi 2006.

The application I have written continually polls a remote server for files to download and a directory on a local server for files to upload.

Sometimes it hangs because the PC it is running on temporarily loses either its internet connection or its ability to talk to the remote server. (This is not uncommon with other PCs at my office, so not due to a problem with the specific PC.)

I wrote code to shut down the application after sending me an email to notify me of the problem; now I want to test it without disconnecting entirely from the Internet.

I closed Port 22 on my router, but am still able to download files from the remote server. I did not try closing the default ProxyPort 1080, as [I assume] it is not used since ProxyType is 0.

I must be missing something obvious. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA

Re: WOD sFTP testing

by wodSupport, Friday, August 08, 2008, 01:24 (5750 days ago) @ Maggie

Maggie,

hi. I'm not sure I understand, what is exact question here?

Is server behind the router (where port 22 is closed), or the client is? Is it the problem you managed to connect, or is something else?

Regards,
Kreso

by Maggie, Friday, August 08, 2008, 16:29 (5749 days ago) @ wodSupport

Is server behind the router (where port 22 is closed), or the client is?

Only the client is behind the router.

Is it the problem you managed to connect, or is something else?

The problem is that I managed to connect.

by wodDamir, Friday, August 08, 2008, 22:44 (5749 days ago) @ Maggie

Hi Maggie,

I don't see an issue here. If I'm correct you blocked port 22 on your firewall, but since the connection is initiated from client side, firewall won't block it since it's an outgoing connection.

Regards,
Damba

by Maggie, Monday, August 11, 2008, 20:35 (5746 days ago) @ wodDamir

I see. I thought the port was blocked in both directions. Apparently that's not correct. Do you have any suggestions about how I might go about blocking an outgoing connection?

I also have Zonealarm and blocked the port in there; unfortunately ZoneAlarm doesn't give clear directions on this, so I assumed I'd done something wrong.

by wodDamir, Monday, August 11, 2008, 20:38 (5746 days ago) @ Maggie

Maggie,

I guess the only way to block it is by specifically blocking all outgoing ports, and only allowing the ones you want to use.

Or simplier, block only the port 22 for the outgoing traffic.

Regards,
Damba