Blank password issue - WeOnlyDo Discussion board

Blank password issue (wodFtpDLX / wodFtpDLX.NET)

by tikit, Friday, January 20, 2006, 13:32 (6671 days ago)

Hi,

On v2.5.1 - if I call the Connect method with a blank password, the Connected event does not fire with an error code, as it does if you supply a non-blank, but invalid, password.

From a user perspective, this is inconsistent - a blank password is still wrong , and it should be handled in the same way as any other wrong password.

Is this a bug, or am I missing something?

Thanks.

Re: Blank password issue

by wodSupport, Friday, January 20, 2006, 16:36 (6671 days ago) @ tikit

Tikit,

if you call Connect without setting password, Connect should return immediately with an error. Is that what you experience?

by tikit, Friday, January 20, 2006, 17:08 (6671 days ago) @ wodSupport

if you call Connect without setting password, Connect should return immediately with an error. Is that what you experience?

According to the documentation, the Connect method doesn't return anything.

What I would expect to happen is that a Connected event is raised with an appropriate error - but this doesn't happen.

by wodSupport, Friday, January 20, 2006, 17:25 (6671 days ago) @ tikit

No, not really. Connect doesn't return anything, but does fire an error you can capture (VB uses Err object for that).

Point is that wodFtpDLX never even tries to connect since it detects password missing much sooner, and reports error immediately.

I don't understand what's the problem here. Same would happen if you leave Hostname empty.

by tikit, Monday, January 23, 2006, 10:09 (6668 days ago) @ wodSupport

OK, I see. But I still think it's inconsistent, and I don't think FTP *requires* an account to have a password.

by wodSupport, Monday, January 23, 2006, 13:34 (6668 days ago) @ tikit

Tikit,

yes, I agree with you partially. But I doubt anyone would have empty password and use secure protocols at the same time.

Requiring password helps us from getting many techsupport issues regarding authentication.

Kreso