Re: Can I - WeOnlyDo Discussion board

Re: Can I (General questions)

by wodSupport, Tuesday, December 07, 2004, 12:52 (7082 days ago) @ John Baker

John,

I'm not sure if I got your question correctly, but you want sort of notification from the server for the client, right?

HTTP protocol has no option for something like this, but we had some customers that required this. Their idea was to send request from the client, but server does not reply until there's some information for the client. In theory, connection is open forever. If it gets closed for whatever reason, client just sends it again...

In order to implement this with wodWebServer, I suggest you take a look at 'chunked transfer' VB sample provided with wodWebServer. It was added recently, so if you don't see it, please download wodWebServer again.

So, idea is this: from within RequestDone event you should just describe response that will be sent back, but don't send any yet. You must use Chunked transfers because size of response is not known at the time.
Then, each time you want to send something to the client, use SendChunk method to send more data. In most cases, IE will immediately show it in user's window.

Perhaps that will help?

Complete thread: