Remote Desktop With VPN control - WeOnlyDo Discussion board

Remote Desktop With VPN control (wodVPN)

by Mr Grey, Tuesday, March 30, 2010, 10:08 (5143 days ago)

How will i manage to do this ?

Re: Remote Desktop With VPN control

by wodDamir, Tuesday, March 30, 2010, 10:31 (5143 days ago) @ Mr Grey

Hi,

Did you perhaps try out our samples?

You basically just need to forward the Remote Desktop ports (3389) between the peers if you are creating Tunnels using wodVPN.

If you're using wodVPN adapter, then you only need to connect peers, and set network adapter addresses.

I would, however, suggest that you try out the samples first. Those should help you get a quick start on using the component.

regards,
Damba

by Mr Grey, Tuesday, March 30, 2010, 10:44 (5143 days ago) @ wodDamir

Where can I found the examples, becourse i'm using vb or vb.net and none of them include a remote desktop example

by wodDamir, Tuesday, March 30, 2010, 11:02 (5143 days ago) @ Mr Grey

Hi,

You can use any of our VB, or VB.Net samples. In VB6 samples, there is a Full Network Redirect sample, which you need to run on both client machines.

Once connected, enable the Redirect to remote peer checkbox, and then connect RDC to your network adapter (installed along with component) IP.

If you're using VB.Net or Simple sample, then you will need to add a tunnel. you can do so by setting Listen on IP to 127.0.0.1 , on port to 3388 . Also set Redirect to IP to 127.0.0.1 , and to port to 3389 . Click Add , and Channel should be started.

Now you can connect to 127.0.0.1:3388 .

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Damba

by Mr Grey, Tuesday, March 30, 2010, 12:02 (5143 days ago) @ wodDamir

Thnaks alot. I will try that.
Just One more Q ..

I have got a mysql server(3306) behind a firewall with about 200 clients.

1) Will these clients be able to use VPN to connect to this server.
This server has got a public ip address. I'm not sure what ports are open on the firewall.

2) Do I also need to get the administrator to open a port.

[:smile:][:smile:]

by wodDamir, Tuesday, March 30, 2010, 12:07 (5143 days ago) @ Mr Grey

Hi,

Yes, they will be able to connect. However, keep in mind that wodVPN is peer-to-peer component. There is no server part of it. I can only connect 2 peers at the same time. However, you can use multiple instances of the component in order to connect multiple clients.

As for your other question, if you're using Mediator to search/connect peers, then you won't need to open any ports. Otherwise, yes, you would need to open port for each client.

Regards,
Damba

by Mr Grey, Tuesday, March 30, 2010, 12:12 (5143 days ago) @ wodDamir

Is there maybe another component that I can use to support and to connect all my clients, let say 1000+ to my Mysql server behind the firewall ?

by wodDamir, Tuesday, March 30, 2010, 12:22 (5143 days ago) @ Mr Grey

Hi,

Well, wodVPN does that. However, it's impossible without using Mediator for establishing connection. Mediator is used to exchange IP/Port info between peers. Basically, each peer contacts Mediator with his IP and port to connect to, and then then make direct connection.

On the other hand, if you have publicly accessible server, you could always try SSH/Tunneling solution. In that case, you need an SSH Server (i.e. wodSSHServer) that allows Port forwarding, and a Tunneling software (i.e. wodSSHTunnel). In that case client starts wodSSHTunnel, and creates a channel on some port. This scenario works the same way as forwarding for wodVPN (that I explained in one of previous replies) does.

However, this solution needs Firewall to be opened for SSH port (default 22).

Regards,
Damba

by Mr Grey, Tuesday, March 30, 2010, 12:34 (5143 days ago) @ wodDamir

Ok I JUST NEED TO CONFIRM.... you said that VPN won't work becourse it will only be able to handle 2 peers at a time.

1) So would my choice be SSHServer and SSHTunnel wich will alow 1000+ clients ?

2) or will VPN work ?

by wodDamir, Tuesday, March 30, 2010, 12:40 (5143 days ago) @ Mr Grey

Hi,

Actually, I said that one instance of component can only connect to one peer. You can ofcourse use multiple instances to connect multiple peers. You can check i.e. Wippien (www.wippien.com), which is basically Instant messenger with VPN capability and uses wodVPN to establish VPN with multiple clients.

However, in your case, I would suggest the other solution since you mentioned that you do have a machine which is publicly accessible. You would only need to open one port to make SSH Server accessible.

Regards,
Damba

by heki, Sunday, April 04, 2010, 04:54 (5138 days ago) @ wodDamir

But when I try to start an instance of mediator on vs2008 (after converting the sample project) I get an error:

AccessViolationException was unhandled

Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

What should I do now, also, I don't now how to execute thath PHP script on my website.

P.S
I'm interested to buy this component because i like the way it works (because the majority of my clients are behind NATs and Routers) but, first, I must know that this mediator service really works !

Hi,

Well, wodVPN does that. However, it's impossible without using Mediator for establishing connection. Mediator is used to exchange IP/Port info between peers. Basically, each peer contacts Mediator with his IP and port to connect to, and then then make direct connection.

On the other hand, if you have publicly accessible server, you could always try SSH/Tunneling solution. In that case, you need an SSH Server (i.e. wodSSHServer) that allows Port forwarding, and a Tunneling software (i.e. wodSSHTunnel). In that case client starts wodSSHTunnel, and creates a channel on some port. This scenario works the same way as forwarding for wodVPN (that I explained in one of previous replies) does.

However, this solution needs Firewall to be opened for SSH port (default 22).

Regards,
Damba

by wodDamir, Sunday, April 04, 2010, 11:34 (5138 days ago) @ heki

Heki,

I sent you an e-mail with Mediator sample made in VB.Net over our ticketing system. Please try it out.

regards,
Damba