Tunneling RDP over wodVPN on Vista causes spurious - WeOnlyDo Discussion board

Tunneling RDP over wodVPN on Vista causes spurious (wodVPN)

by Moutaz, Friday, November 14, 2008, 09:40 (5643 days ago)

We have discovered a serious issue with tunneling RDP connections through the VPN. We've confirmed the issue is with wodVPN by recreating it using DialogBased.exe MFC Sample and the Microsoft Remote Desktop Client (mstsc.exe).

We have a RDP server and a Vista client machine. We run DialogBased.exe on both machines. UAC is disabled and we're running under Administrator account on both machines. After entering the appropriate peer IDs and hitting the Search button, we successfully connect the VPN by clicking Connect on the Vista client machine. Then we create a channel that forwards local 127.0.0.1:3388 to remote 127.0.0.1:3389. We connect using mstsc.exe on the Vista client machine to 127.0.0.1:3388 and the connection is successfully forwarded to 127.0.0.1:3389 on the RDP server. However, if we attempt to do something on the RDP connection that causes a sudden increase in network usage, the connection is dropped with the error 10053 on both sides. Mstsc.exe gives an error of not being able to encrypt data correctly. We believe the cause of this error is some sort of corruption of data, possibly dropped packets, between mstsc.exe and wodVPN component in DialogBased.exe.

This problem does not occur when we run it on an XP client. Your help is urgently requested... Thanks in advance.

Re: Tunneling RDP over wodVPN on Vista causes spur

by wodDamir, Friday, November 14, 2008, 10:33 (5643 days ago) @ Moutaz

Hi Moutaz,

Can you please verify which version of the component you use? Can you please check what Version property returns?

Also, can you try any other applications (i.e. VNC)? Does the same issue occur on them too or is this only limited to RDP?

Regards,
Damba

by Moutaz, Friday, November 14, 2008, 13:04 (5643 days ago) @ wodDamir

We have tested versions 2.0.1 and 2.1.2 and both have the problem. We just ran a test using VNC and the VNC session freezes as soon as it transfers the initial image data.

by wodDamir, Friday, November 14, 2008, 14:13 (5643 days ago) @ Moutaz

Moutaz,

Ok, we are currently working on an issue which is quite similiar to yours. I'm pretty sure that these two are connected.

We will inform you as soon we have a new version for you which should resolve this problem.

Regards,
Damba

by Moutaz, Friday, November 14, 2008, 22:01 (5643 days ago) @ wodDamir

When can we expect to have the new version? This is an issue of great urgency for us. Thanks.

by wodgrof, Saturday, November 15, 2008, 01:34 (5642 days ago) @ Moutaz

Hi Moutaz,

I think your problem should be fixed now, please request an updated version of wodVPN component from our website. Also, please confirm that the issue is now solved.

Regards,

Grof

by Moutaz, Saturday, November 15, 2008, 11:55 (5642 days ago) @ wodgrof

I have downloaded the new version 2.1.2.83 from the website and tested with it. Unfortunately, the problem is not fixed.

by wodDamir, Saturday, November 15, 2008, 15:02 (5642 days ago) @ Moutaz

Hi Moutaz,

Which user are you logging into as? The same user that has wodVPN application running?

Can you please try some other user? Does the same issue occur?

Also, can you please re-run test with VNC?

Regards,
Damba

by Moutaz, Saturday, November 15, 2008, 20:08 (5642 days ago) @ wodDamir

I am logging in as a different user when testing RDP over VPN. Often, the session is dropped at the login screen before the login completes.

VNC is also not working. Sometimes the client freezes, sometimes it times out, and sometimes it gives an error.

by wodDamir, Saturday, November 15, 2008, 20:14 (5642 days ago) @ Moutaz

Moutaz,

Ok, I believe I duplicated the problem. I'll forward it to our programmers to see what causes this. We will let you know as soon as we know more.

Regards,
Damba

by Moutaz, Tuesday, November 18, 2008, 08:54 (5639 days ago) @ wodDamir

Can you please keep us updated on the progress of resolving this issue, and an estimated time? As you know, this is a very urgent issue for us.

Thanks.

by wodgrof, Saturday, November 22, 2008, 01:17 (5636 days ago) @ Moutaz

Hi Moutaz,

Just to keep you posted, we are having difficulties duplicating your issue in a debug mode. I have to ask to make sure: did you update the component on both machines?

Regards,
Grof

by Moutaz, Thursday, November 27, 2008, 10:06 (5630 days ago) @ wodgrof

Yes, I have checked and double-checked. The component is updated to 2.1.2.83 on the test machines. One setup that is repeatedly showing the problem is a Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit machine that is running VMWare Workstation 6.0.5, inside of which is a Workstation 5.x virtual machine running Windows XP SP3 32-bit. We have setup the XP as the RDP or VNC host/server and use the Vista as the client, and can reproduce the problem as soon as the VNC connects and graphics are displayed, or on RDP, if we open up for example, Internet Explorer and go to a graphics-laden web page like msn.com and scroll around a lot, sooner or later, the RDP connection drops with an error.

by woddrazen, Thursday, November 27, 2008, 11:41 (5630 days ago) @ Moutaz

Moutaz

Can you please test with host machine and Vmware which is running Vista Ultimate SP1 64-bit? Does it work in that case?

You can also try running two VMwares on host machine and test between them. Personally I don't like idea running virtual machine inside virtual machine.

Drazen

by Moutaz, Thursday, November 27, 2008, 12:24 (5630 days ago) @ woddrazen

I think you misunderstood me. The setup is not a virtual machine inside a virtual machine. It's a virtual machine (XP host) inside a physical machine (Vista client). We have also done testing between two physical machines and have been able to replicate the problem, though not always.

by woddrazen, Thursday, November 27, 2008, 14:14 (5630 days ago) @ Moutaz

Moutaz

Are you using full network redirection using Virtual adapter or you are just forwarding port with wodVPN?

Drazen

by Moutaz et all, Friday, November 28, 2008, 10:55 (5629 days ago) @ woddrazen

Drazen,

Moutaz is my lead programmer. I am writing this email on his behalf.

I am sorry but we think we are not getting an effective support on this matter. As you may read on our original support request, we are trying to use the port forwarding portion.

My development team has lost their paicence to the point that they belive they should rewrite the whole solution ground up. !!!

We expect to resolve this matter within 24 hours since we have been waiting for sometime now to resolve this issue. This bug is substentialy effecting our business.

Thank you for your prompt reply with a solution.

Moutaz

Are you using full network redirection using Virtual adapter or you are just forwarding port with wodVPN?

Drazen

by wodDamir, Friday, November 28, 2008, 12:35 (5629 days ago) @ Moutaz et all

Hi,

I believe that I duplicated this behaviour. The problem is that we couldn't duplicate this in debug mode, so that's why we needed more information.

I hope with all the information provided, we will be able to reproduce this behaviour in debug environment, and provide a solution to this problem.

We will let you know more as soon as we have new information on this.

Regards,
Damba

by Moutaz et all, Friday, November 28, 2008, 14:25 (5629 days ago) @ wodDamir

Thank you.

I will wait for your email here.

Regards,

by Moutaz et all, Tuesday, December 02, 2008, 02:50 (5625 days ago) @ Moutaz et all

We are still waiting here.

Have you got any update yet?

This is a big problem for us and we really need a solution.

Could you please let us know what is happening?

Thanks

by Moutaz, Tuesday, December 02, 2008, 04:15 (5625 days ago) @ Moutaz et all

The problem occurs when using the Add method of VPNChannels to add TCPLocalListen channels to forward ports. We have not tested using any other type of channel. We really need your help on this one ASAP. Thanks.

by wodSupport, Sunday, December 07, 2008, 21:34 (5620 days ago) @ Moutaz

Moutaz,

we've been debugging this for 2 weeks now, and have performed many tests. I must say that I have no idea why RDP blocks. We have been logging full communication between both sides, and in all cases of disconnections log files of both sides completelly match (fc /b tests), whatever one side sends other one receives, with no changes.

This must be some RDP issue we're unaware about, and we cannot provide any solution or workaround at this point. We'll try few things more but I don't give too many hopes in it.

Kreso

by Moutaz, Sunday, December 07, 2008, 22:22 (5620 days ago) @ wodSupport

It can't be just an RDP issue. VNC also doesn't work.

by wodSupport, Sunday, December 07, 2008, 22:28 (5620 days ago) @ Moutaz

Oh? Hold on then. I can debug VNC from inside.

Kreso

by wodSupport, Monday, December 08, 2008, 22:19 (5619 days ago) @ wodSupport

I believe this is now fixed, would you be so kind to request update and try it out?

Let me know how it goes!

Regards,
Kreso

by Moutaz, Thursday, December 11, 2008, 10:18 (5616 days ago) @ wodSupport

I was not able to replicate an RDP error with the new version. However the connection was extremely slow as it has always been when the error does not occur, and this is between a host machine and a guest VM. VNC still does not work at all.

by wodSupport, Thursday, December 11, 2008, 23:20 (5616 days ago) @ Moutaz

Moutaz,

let's deal with one thing at a time. I think I've managed to improve wodVPN speed significantly, about 14 times more. Now my transfers are 3.6mb on tests (was 242kb before). Would you be so kind to try it again?

I'll check VNC now.

Kreso

by wodSupport, Thursday, December 11, 2008, 23:31 (5616 days ago) @ wodSupport

I justed tested VNC and it works like a charm. What kind of error did you have with VNC?

Kreso

by netgotiator, Monday, May 11, 2009, 00:27 (5466 days ago) @ wodSupport

I justed tested VNC and it works like a charm. What kind of error did you have with VNC?

Kreso

Hi Kreso,

The past week we discovered that we also have the same problem with RDP.
When we first connect, we get the RDP Login Screen. After we put our
credentials, the RDP session hangs there and disconnects. This seems
to be related with RDP buffers or your buffers and a lot of sudden traffic generated in a moment from the server's side.

After this happens, the machine does not allow the person in the console to login for a while, firstly because it seems hang and then when we wait for some minutes with the host having a blank screen in the console saying that terminal services are busy...

It seems like corrupt data exchange.

Any news from this thread ?

by wodSupport, Monday, May 11, 2009, 01:40 (5466 days ago) @ netgotiator

Hi. I have replied on the ticket about this issue. One question - which version of wodVPN do you use? Just to make sure, since we did have some fixes that could be related to this.

Kreso