Timeout - WeOnlyDo Discussion board

Timeout (General questions)

by Viking, Tuesday, November 23, 2004, 23:59 (7103 days ago)

Does SFTP.Timeout property applies for the connection timeout? Send and Receive timeout?

The documentation says that Timeout is Total number of seconds to expire before we are automatically disconnected from the server.

Also, do you take into account the time spent on file download or upload as a part of lifetime timeout? I mean, if a file is huge it may take a lot of time to download.

Re: Timeout

by wodSupport, Wednesday, November 24, 2004, 00:01 (7103 days ago) @ Viking

Viking,

timeout starts counting when component is idle. As soon as one byte is transmitted (in any direction) it is reset to zero.

So, if you have large downloads and small timeout - it will work. As long as data arrives/goaway it will not disconnect.

by Viking, Wednesday, November 24, 2004, 00:06 (7103 days ago) @ wodSupport

Do you guys ever sleep? :-)

What about connection timeout? It's a must for any decent ftp-client. It looks like you useS FTP.Timeout property for all timeouts I listed above? Am I right?

by wodSupport, Wednesday, November 24, 2004, 00:08 (7103 days ago) @ Viking

Viking,

connection timeout? You mean one that ticks no matter if wodSFTP is idle or not?

Ehm.. Ehm.... Ehm.... How about you put some timer in your code and disconnect when it expires? Why must component have everything? :)

So, put one Timer on the form and voila...

Regards.

by Viking, Wednesday, November 24, 2004, 00:12 (7103 days ago) @ wodSupport

No, the one for the socket connection at startup: Socket.Connect(). Can be helpfull if the server is down.

by wodSupport, Wednesday, November 24, 2004, 00:16 (7103 days ago) @ Viking

Oh, I see. Same Timeout property is used. You can change Timeout during connection - or after Connected event is fired.