wodSFTP ActiveX in Delphi, licensing problem - WeOnlyDo Discussion board

wodSFTP ActiveX in Delphi, licensing problem (wodSFTP / wodSFTP.NET / wodSFTPdll)

by jtelstad, Wednesday, October 26, 2005, 18:36 (6761 days ago)

Hi,

I'm having trouble with deployment of my Delphi application where I'm using the ActiveX version of wodSFTP.

When I start up my installed application, I first get the nag screen, then my application causes an exception EOleError with message License information for TwodSFTP not found. You cannot use this control in design mode.

I have installed the control in Delphi by using the Import ActiveX control menu option. The control works fine on my development machine, but when I deploy it (I've tried both Inno Setup and InstallShield Express, using self-registration and letting InstallShield extract COM information, but nothing seems to work).

The control is being registered, but not the license, it seems.

What do I do?

Best regards,

Johan Telstad
Developer
KROMA
Norway

Re: wodSFTP ActiveX in Delphi, licensing problem

by jtelstad, Wednesday, October 26, 2005, 19:10 (6761 days ago) @ jtelstad

So, in the time-honoured tradition of replying to your own postings with the answer to the problem, here is what happened:

I had imported the (evaluation) ActiveX control into Delphi before I bought the registered version. So my distributed application was not including the license key that I had bought. I uninstalled and then reimported the control, and everything worked.

Johan Telstad

by wodSupport, Wednesday, October 26, 2005, 20:14 (6761 days ago) @ jtelstad

Johan,

correct move ;) After you receive licensed version, in Delphi and C++ you must reimport it into the IDE, so wrappers are recreated.

by kevino, Thursday, July 24, 2008, 19:53 (5759 days ago) @ wodSupport

Johan,

correct move ;) After you receive licensed version, in Delphi and C++ you must reimport it into the IDE, so wrappers are recreated.

I have the exact same problem with delphi. I did re-import the activex after installing the licensed version. The version and about boxes for the imports activex control indicate it's Licensed and not demo version. When i install my app on another pc, register the ocx, i get an app error indicating the license key is missing!?

What am i missing?

by kevino, Thursday, July 24, 2008, 20:47 (5759 days ago) @ kevino

Johan,

I have the exact same problem with delphi. I did re-import the activex after installing the licensed version. The version and about boxes for the imports activex control indicate it's Licensed and not demo version. When i install my app on another pc, register the ocx, i get an app error indicating the license key is missing!?

What am i missing?

I'll add that when i run my deployed app on the pc... the box that appears indicates that the component is in fact a registered version , but indicates the license key is missing. Since i'm using ocx... it seems delphi isn't finding it correctly. How do you set it?

by woddrazen, Thursday, July 24, 2008, 20:55 (5759 days ago) @ kevino

Kevino,

OCX version don't have LicenseKey Property. It's register when you drop it on your form. Only DLL need LicesneKey Property.

Maybe you somehow insert incorrect LicenseKey during installation process. Maybe you miss some letter or maybe LicenseKey is in incorrect format.

For LicenseKey you should use uppercase letter.

something like this:

XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

also how did you re-import reference in Delphi?

Drazen

by kevino, Thursday, July 24, 2008, 21:41 (5759 days ago) @ woddrazen

Kevino,

OCX version don't have LicenseKey Property. It's register when you drop it on your form. Only DLL need LicesneKey Property.

Maybe you somehow insert incorrect LicenseKey during installation process. Maybe you miss some letter or maybe LicenseKey is in incorrect format.

For LicenseKey you should use uppercase letter.

something like this:

XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

also how did you re-import reference in Delphi?

Drazen

If i recall right, i went to install active x component in delphi menus and reselected it from the list. As you mention it, I don't recall ever entering in my license key anywhere or ever being prompted for it? Where would i have seen that?

by woddrazen, Thursday, July 24, 2008, 21:45 (5759 days ago) @ kevino

Kevino,

When you run installation setup for wodSFTP, you should be asked for LicenseKey. DEMO version don't have that option.

Drazen

by kevino, Thursday, July 24, 2008, 21:51 (5759 days ago) @ woddrazen

Kevino,

When you run installation setup for wodSFTP, you should be asked for LicenseKey. DEMO version don't have that option.

Drazen

Ok... well i assume i must have entered it then as the about box for the component indicates it's a registered version. Back the delphi import side of things... any issue with what i did there?

by woddrazen, Thursday, July 24, 2008, 22:12 (5759 days ago) @ kevino

Kevino,

Can you please remove wodSFTP reference from Delphi. Unistall wodSFTP.

Download licensed version here:

http://www.weonlydo.com/index.asp?update=1

This is automated process. Make sure you use same email address that is registered with our system, one you used when you have purchased the product.

Install wodSFTP again and make sure that you insert correct license key during installation process. This is important step.

Add wodSFTP reference to Delphi and try it again.

Drazen

by kevino, Wednesday, August 27, 2008, 23:21 (5725 days ago) @ woddrazen

Kevino,

Can you please remove wodSFTP reference from Delphi. Unistall wodSFTP.

Download licensed version here:

http://www.weonlydo.com/index.asp?update=1

This is automated process. Make sure you use same email address that is registered with our system, one you used when you have purchased the product.

Install wodSFTP again and make sure that you insert correct license key during installation process. This is important step.

Add wodSFTP reference to Delphi and try it again.

Drazen

Did all that... still not working for runtime exe distribution. I'll note i did verify my license key... it already was correct. I didn't have to re-add the reference as the installer already added it in as a activex component in the pallet. This is very frustrating... please help.

by kevino, Wednesday, August 27, 2008, 23:57 (5725 days ago) @ kevino

by the way, i also tried building a new app in delphi and placing the component on the form to see if that would work. It do not. Same issue.

by woddrazen, Wednesday, August 27, 2008, 23:59 (5725 days ago) @ kevino

Kevino,

It's important to reimport wodSFTP reference in Delphi. Until you reimport it old (DEMO) version will be used.

If that doesn't help. Is there any chance you can try on some other machine with fresh installation of Delphi and licensed version of wodSFTP?

I know this isn't so popular solution but that should most probably help if you need to resume with your work.

Drazen

by kevino, Thursday, August 28, 2008, 00:52 (5725 days ago) @ woddrazen

Kevino,

It's important to reimport wodSFTP reference in Delphi. Until you reimport it old (DEMO) version will be used.

If that doesn't help. Is there any chance you can try on some other machine with fresh installation of Delphi and licensed version of wodSFTP?

I know this isn't so popular solution but that should most probably help if you need to resume with your work.

Drazen

Please describe specifically what you mean by It's important to reimport wodSFTP reference in Delphi ?

by woddrazen, Thursday, August 28, 2008, 10:18 (5725 days ago) @ kevino

Kevino,

Which version of Delphi you are using?

Drazen

by kevino, Thursday, August 28, 2008, 13:52 (5725 days ago) @ woddrazen

Kevino,

Which version of Delphi you are using?

Drazen

Delphi 6 Enterprise with the patch loaded.

by woddrazen, Thursday, August 28, 2008, 14:40 (5724 days ago) @ kevino

Kevino,

Here is steps you need to done to remove wodSFTP object from Delphi 6:
---------------------------------------------------
1) Open new Project
2) Go to Component toolbar and open Install Packages..
3) In Design Packages select Borland User Components and click on Edit button
4) In Package windows remove all wodSFTP object (wodSFTPLib_TLB.dcr,wodSFTPLib_TLB.pas and other) using Remove button
5) When this is done click on Compile button and OK, close Package windows and click yes on message window: Save changes to project dclusr
6) Close Delphi
7) Open it again and check under ActiveX pallet if there is still wodSFTP objects.
8) If there isn't any more wodSFTO objects, please install licensed version of wodSFTP and add wodSFTP ActiveX object to Delphi again.
---------------------------------------------------

Let us know how it goes.

Drazen

by kevino, Thursday, August 28, 2008, 18:37 (5724 days ago) @ woddrazen

Let us know how it goes.

Drazen

Thank you for the instructions... that worked very well and a ran a test app placing the wodsftp component on a form, compiled and ran without error on a client pc. Thanks!

One last problem...
I have a large established app that uses this component and after performing the steps earlier... i get a odd error on the GetFile() procedure indicating that it can't open the local file!? Basically it can't create files on the local side as it restrieves them. Seeing how the the earlier test prooved it worked (i.e. retrieve a file with no error), it seems to be how my existing app deals with the new registered version.

I tried removing it and re-adding it back in, but that doesn't work. I get the error i mentioned with unable to create local file. What's the trick to get existing apps to work with the new registered component?

By the way, the GetFile part was working fine before i did these re-registration steps.

thanks for help.

by kevino, Thursday, August 28, 2008, 20:52 (5724 days ago) @ kevino

Let us know how it goes.

Drazen

By the way, the GetFile part was working fine before i did these re-registration steps.

I think i figured it out... but it leads to what looks like an inconnsistency in the demo vs. registered versions wodsftp for the GetFile() method. Previously i only specified the folder with trailing slash in the first parameter to this call. That seems to have been the problem. In order for the registered version to work, you have to also include the local filename you want create as part of that first parameter. Otherwise it creates a really odd filename with lots of special ASCII characters that look like boxes in file explorer?!

by woddrazen, Thursday, August 28, 2008, 22:22 (5724 days ago) @ kevino

Kevino,

When using GetFile of PutFile Method local and remote path should always specify full path including filename.

DEMO and Licensed version should be same. Maybe we have change something in meantime in last version and that changes produce such behaviour.

If you still have problem when using full path for local and remote path including filename let us know and we will try to help you.

Drazen