Resolving the IP Address - WeOnlyDo Discussion board

Resolving the IP Address (wodSSH / wodSSH.NET)

by rural, Tuesday, June 14, 2005, 09:44 (6894 days ago)

I may be missing something simple here....

I'm trying to assign the IP address of the remote server to a string.
The user is supplying just the DNS name of the remote server and I need the IP address.

I was trying to avoid having to add additional code to do the lookup and was thinking that wodSSH must resolve the name to an IP address.
Is this address accessible anywhere?

There may be a better way of doing this???
I'm using VB.

Thanks

Re: Resolving the IP Address

by wodSupport, Tuesday, June 14, 2005, 10:57 (6894 days ago) @ rural

Of course wodSSH.NET will resolve name, or will use IP address, anything you provide.

Why? What kind of problems do you have? What exactly do you put in Hostname property, can you give example?

by rural, Tuesday, June 14, 2005, 11:19 (6894 days ago) @ wodSupport

For example...
Users of my program will type in Server54 , the users have no idea what the actual IP Address is.
Then wodSSH will connect to Server54

However, later in my program I need to know what the actual IP Address is for Server54 so that I can use it for other functions.

But at this point all I have is the name Server54

Is there a way to get wodSSH to tell me what it resolved the IP Address to be? This would save me from having to add code to do the lookup.

Thanks

by wodSupport, Tuesday, June 14, 2005, 11:21 (6894 days ago) @ rural

Ah, I see now, you want to use IP address which wodSSH.NET obviously had to resolve.

No, unfortunatelly we don't give out that IP address. But I'm sure there are millions of easy ways to resolve hostname->IP, especially if you use VB.NET.

Hope I helped.
Kreso

by rural, Tuesday, June 14, 2005, 11:24 (6894 days ago) @ wodSupport

Thanks for the fast answers - you guys are great!!