Fail to connect behind multiple firewalls - WeOnlyDo Discussion board

Fail to connect behind multiple firewalls (wodVPN)

by Qaiser Iftikhar, Thursday, February 23, 2012, 15:37 (4438 days ago)

Hi,

How does wodvpn work if it is behind multiple firewalls? We've found that when we try the peers are able to search and they get the ip/port when searching is complete but when we try to connect it timeouts. Any idea what we need to do with firewalls for connection to be successful?

Regards,

Re: Fail to connect behind multiple firewalls

by woddrazen, Thursday, February 23, 2012, 15:54 (4438 days ago) @ Qaiser Iftikhar

Hi Qaiser,

Did you try to connect peers using our samples maybe? Does the same issue occur?

If problem persist, is there any chance you can disable some of your firewalls and try it again? So we can isolate this issue more closely.

Regards,
Drazen

by Qaiser Iftikhar, Thursday, February 23, 2012, 16:26 (4438 days ago) @ woddrazen

Hi,

Yes, we did try with the sample application provided. It was able to search and locate peers but was unable to connect.

Unfortunately we are not in a position to change firewalls on a trial and error basis. If we know what needs to be changed we can request our client to do that. We were under the impression that wodvpn can penetrate firewall?

Another software which we've tried works fine (www.teamviewer.com) on that network and it works on the same principle i-e nat traversal.

by wodDamir, Thursday, February 23, 2012, 17:08 (4438 days ago) @ Qaiser Iftikhar

Qaiser,

When you say connect, I assume you mean connecting the component (Connect method) once IP/Port is found?

Can you try setting UPnP property?

The component uses UDP hole punching technique to penetrate firewalls. However, although most of the firewalls can be passed through this way, there is a possibility that some won't work.

Regards,
Damba

by gpl, Friday, March 16, 2012, 10:26 (4416 days ago) @ wodDamir

However, although most of the firewalls can be passed through this way, there is a possibility that some won't work.

That's true! For example, the Microsoft ISA-Server don't work with wodvpn.

by woddrazen, Friday, March 16, 2012, 10:52 (4416 days ago) @ gpl

Qaiser,

Did you tried any other peer to peer client with your ISA server? Maybe there is something inside firewall that blocks VPN connections.

Drazen

by gpl, Friday, March 16, 2012, 17:59 (4416 days ago) @ woddrazen

Qaiser,

Did you tried any other peer to peer client with your ISA server? Maybe there is something inside firewall that blocks VPN connections.

Drazen

No, I don't try it, because our Customers normally don't have an ISA-Firewall and so they don't have this problem.

I tried it out (only for test) in our office and it don't work with a normal configured ISA-Server. I'm sure, that you can handle it by changing the firewall-rules, but I don't need it and so I don't try it.

by wodDamir, Friday, March 16, 2012, 18:09 (4416 days ago) @ gpl

Hi,

The ISA firewall blocks all UDP traffic, including outbound which is not usually a case. Firewalls usually allow outbound connections to happen, and block only incoming traffic.

Firewall in this case should be configured to at least permit outbound connections since not even mediator would be contacted, and no peer exchange would occur.

Regards,
Damba