MVS server support - WeOnlyDo Discussion board

MVS server support (wodSFTP / wodSFTP.NET / wodSFTPdll)

by condev1972, Tuesday, October 31, 2006, 17:34 (6407 days ago)

Dear WOD support,

I'm using Delphi 5 Ent. and current FtpDLX COM object DLL for development. Both mine and my customer's machine run WinXP SP2.

That customer is using MVS as FTP host with partitioned datasets (directories), i.e. directory names look like
'LIB2.COR.XXX1.MYDIR' (with the quotes!).

The log (generated by my application) shows after login for retrieving
the directory listing on his machine (regular FTP protocol):

LIST -al 'LIB2.COR.XXX1.MYDIR': 550 No data sets found.
No data sets found. (40550)

The above directory should show many files; the FTP components we previously used (non-WOD) did just use LIST without parameters and that worked fine with that (Login->CWD->LIST).

Working with MVS and partitioned datasets is somewhat strange compared to usual servers as a valid directory name looks like 'username.dir.name', e.g. S123456.LIB2.COR.XXX1.MYDIR .
So normally after having logged in, the working directory is first S123456. (note the dot). Then the old FTP does CWD 'LIB2.COR.XXX1.MYDIR' and then LIST .

My code uses a command like this: wFtp.ListDir (wFtp.RemotePath); with RemotePath being 'LIB2.COR.XXX1.MYDIR' (sinle-quotes are required on that MVS).
Is it possible that internally a CWD RemotePath is missing before issuing the LIST -al command or something? I'm lost here.

In the meantime (while writing this message) I got confirmation from my customer that the command by WodFTP returns a Invalid command :
LIST -al 'LIB2.COR.XXX1.MYDIR'

I think the -al does not work on MVS, so I assume that I need to set ListParams to an empty string after login??

Please advise on what I would need to check or change.

Best regards,
Tobias

Re: MVS server support

by wodSupport, Wednesday, November 01, 2006, 19:09 (6406 days ago) @ condev1972

Tobias,

yes, first thing to try is to set ListParams = to remove that -al . After that, ListDir should work.

If it doesn't, let me know. If you can get me dump from FTPReply event (dump contents of the command and the replytext) that would be helpful too.

Kreso

by condev1972, Wednesday, November 01, 2006, 21:00 (6406 days ago) @ wodSupport

Hello Kreso,

thanks for your reply. Yes, in the meantime I did set the params
to blank and this works much better. However, I'm still awaiting
some additional feedback from my customer.

Just as some additional info for you (which I'm not sure if it
is of value for you): the customer formerly had to use the Windows
XP delivered command line FTP client program.
This, however, may have different implementation of commands and therefore I cannot say if/how this relates to the FTP standard at all.
So, in his case, the LIST command in the FTP command line seems to error, but LS seemed to work. With the FtpDlx components on the other hand LIST does work, though.
Also, he asked, if it would be possible to use DIR instead. I told
him that this is not something I'm possible to change.
Anyway, this is just for info. Should I run into more problems, I'll post again. :)

Thanks a lot,
Tobias

by wodSupport, Wednesday, November 01, 2006, 21:06 (6406 days ago) @ condev1972

Actually you can change LIST to DIR. Use PreTranslateCommand event, with code like this:

if Command = LIST then Command = DIR and that's it :) Not sure if it will work in D6 tho.

Kreso

by condev1972, Wednesday, November 01, 2006, 21:33 (6406 days ago) @ wodSupport

Actually you can change LIST to DIR. Use PreTranslateCommand event

Oh, I wasn't aware of that, thanks for pointing it out.
Thanks,
Tobias