POP3 Slow message download - WeOnlyDo Discussion board

POP3 Slow message download (wodSmtpServer / wodPop3Server / wodImapServer)

by nestorcastro, Friday, March 12, 2021, 16:50 (1134 days ago)

I have been having strange behavior in Microsoft Outlook connected to my POP3 server. Messages take a long time to download. If I restart the POP3 server it will be fast again, but shortly after that it will be slow again. Since activex has no control over the flow of data between the ends, how do you know what is causing the slowdown? In time, the same problem occurs with other email readers.

POP3 Slow message download

by wodSupport, Saturday, March 13, 2021, 01:14 (1134 days ago) @ nestorcastro

Hi.

Can we duplicate this somehow? How many messages are there in the inbox? Does your code have some loops that could cause the delay? Does it get slow listing or downloading messages?

Regards,
Jasmine

by nestorcastro, Monday, March 15, 2021, 16:26 (1131 days ago) @ wodSupport

Hello,

I couldn't duplicate this beheavour. This occours in so many different times. Sometimes the server has only 3 small messages. In other times, the server has 50 messages and some of then bigger then 10 MB.

What I could observe is a increase of RAM memory of my POP3 server. It only grows and never reduce.

The component log do not show any relevant thing and do not show how long takes to download a message

If I reestart my POP3 server, it works.

Hi.

Can we duplicate this somehow? How many messages are there in the inbox? Does your code have some loops that could cause the delay? Does it get slow listing or downloading messages?

Regards,
Jasmine

by wodSupport, Monday, March 15, 2021, 16:43 (1131 days ago) @ nestorcastro

Hi.

What programming language do you use? Do you see this behavior with our samples as well?

Jasmine

by nestorcastro, Monday, March 15, 2021, 17:08 (1131 days ago) @ wodSupport

I'm using VB6.

Unfortunately your samples are very simple and do not provide a real "scenario" of use. With very simple simulations this behaviour does not occour

As I said, this occurs in different times on day, with different number and size of messages.

When I see my outlook freezing with "downloading messaging", I can't see if my outlook is waiting or it is stopped and my POP3 Server is waiting.

It may be important to have a way of investigating data traffic between the ends to debug these situations

Hi.

What programming language do you use? Do you see this behavior with our samples as well?

Jasmine

by wodSupport, Monday, March 15, 2021, 17:17 (1131 days ago) @ nestorcastro

Hi.

You can add your own logs for each event so you know what's sent/received, especially for Command event which logs all the commands being sent by the client. You can add timestamp to it so you get exact logs you need.

Jasmine

by nestorcastro, Monday, March 15, 2021, 20:02 (1131 days ago) @ wodSupport

Hi Jasmine

I found the problem. I have many mailboxes and some of then had more than 1.000 messages and was configured to keep the message on server. So, everytime that this client was connected on server, all this headers was downloaded and this takes a long time...

Sorry for this false alarm... :)

Hi.

You can add your own logs for each event so you know what's sent/received, especially for Command event which logs all the commands being sent by the client. You can add timestamp to it so you get exact logs you need.

Jasmine