How does ProxyHost work? - WeOnlyDo Discussion board

How does ProxyHost work? (wodSmtp)

by Bob, Wednesday, January 30, 2019, 21:58 (1884 days ago)

I have a customer with a proxy host and 4 smtp servers behind it. When I set ProxyHost, ProxyPort, ProxyLogin, ProxyPassword, and ProxyType then try to Connect I get a runtime error saying I need to set Hostname. I can not find any documentation on how to use the proxy settings. Can you point me at an example or a manual?

Thanks,

Bob

How does ProxyHost work?

by Jasmine, Wednesday, January 30, 2019, 22:11 (1884 days ago) @ Bob

Hi Bob,

proxy also needs to know where to connect, so you need to set Hostname which will be passed to ProxyHost.

What proxy type do you plan to use?

Jasmine.

How does ProxyHost work?

by Bob, Wednesday, January 30, 2019, 22:32 (1884 days ago) @ Jasmine

Hi Bob,

proxy also needs to know where to connect, so you need to set Hostname which will be passed to ProxyHost.

What proxy type do you plan to use?

Jasmine.

I guess I don't understand how this works and can not find any documentation except the list of enumerated proxy types. I don't know what the host name is. I know what the name of the proxy is so I set that. I set all the proxy information to point to the proxy host. If it needs the host name, I don't know what to put in there.

I'm allowing the user to select from a list of proxy types since I don't know myself what kind it is and I want it to work for different types of proxies.

Bob

How does ProxyHost work?

by Jasmine, Wednesday, January 30, 2019, 22:33 (1884 days ago) @ Bob

Hi Bob,

well, we can't really make tutorial about proxies, we can only support specific ones. If you have specific question regarding some proxy type, I'll be happy to help!

Jasmine.

How does ProxyHost work?

by Bob, Wednesday, January 30, 2019, 23:04 (1884 days ago) @ Jasmine

Hi Bob,

well, we can't really make tutorial about proxies, we can only support specific ones. If you have specific question regarding some proxy type, I'll be happy to help!

Jasmine.

I'm not expecting a tutorial on proxies. I am expecting basic documentation on the features of the tool I bought.

How about this: I need to connect to a Proxy to send emails. Should I use any of the following properties:
ProxyHost
ProxyLogin
ProxyPassword
ProxyPort
ProxyType (for the sake of argument say it is ProxyRelay)

or

Should I just use the regular HostName, Login, Password, Port properties? If that is the case, what is the purpose of the Proxy properties?

How does ProxyHost work?

by Jasmine, Wednesday, January 30, 2019, 23:07 (1884 days ago) @ Bob

Hi Bob,

for proxy relay you need ProxyHost and ProxyPort. This is not a typical proxy, but generic relay that redirects from one hostname/port to other one, but we don't want wodSmtp to know where he's actually connecting to.

For others, it really depends on proxy type you plan to use. For all of them you need ProxyHost/ProxyPort, and if they need authentication you need ProxyLogin/ProxyPassword.

Jasmine.

How does ProxyHost work?

by Bob, Friday, February 01, 2019, 20:10 (1882 days ago) @ Jasmine

Hi Bob,

for proxy relay you need ProxyHost and ProxyPort. This is not a typical proxy, but generic relay that redirects from one hostname/port to other one, but we don't want wodSmtp to know where he's actually connecting to.

For others, it really depends on proxy type you plan to use. For all of them you need ProxyHost/ProxyPort, and if they need authentication you need ProxyLogin/ProxyPassword.

Jasmine.

I think if you read my first post that is exactly what I did but I got the runtime error indicating I needed to set Hostname.

How does ProxyHost work?

by Jasmine, Friday, February 01, 2019, 20:18 (1882 days ago) @ Bob

Hi Bob,

yes, you must set Hostname, no matter if relay uses it or not, since, from wodSmtp's perspective, it works normally, it behaves like there's no proxy. We just "fool" it to connect through a relay.

Jasmine.