How to compile wodFTP.dll without licence request - WeOnlyDo Discussion board

How to compile wodFTP.dll without licence request (wodFTPServer)

by Stefan Peter, Tuesday, September 11, 2012, 14:23 (4243 days ago)

Hi there,

our company has valid developer licences for several Wod products. The problem is I need to distribute the dll for tunnel, ftp server and certificate to our customer without installing the COM Object or writing our licence to their registry.

So I guess I have to compile the ftp server project with the _ISFREEEXE defined. But the problem is it does not compile. In Certificate.h in CertMng Project it includes ../CertMngLib/MyClassFactory.h . Well, where do I get this class from? There is no such class in this project! To be more precisely there isn't even a folder or project with this name?!?

Any advice for me?

Version of FTPserver is 3.2.0

Re: How to compile wodFTP.dll without licence requ

by wodsupport, Tuesday, September 11, 2012, 14:27 (4243 days ago) @ Stefan Peter

Stefan,

hi. No, you can not do that. Actually _ISFREEEXE is something else, and you cannot compile COM object without COM interfaces.

By license agreement, you are not allowed to change our source code and distribute it with your application (except if we're out of business some day).

Hope this helps.
Kreso

by Stefan Peter, Tuesday, September 11, 2012, 14:30 (4243 days ago) @ wodsupport

no no, we don't want to change your code and distribute it. But we need to distribute the dll. Otherwise how are we able to start a ftp server at other computer?

by Stefan Peter, Tuesday, September 11, 2012, 14:37 (4243 days ago) @ Stefan Peter

The main problem is, when I start a ftp server from your dll on a system without our purchased developer licence key it shows a message box. How can I prevent this.

In the licence agreement I read we are allowed to distribute the DLL.

by wodDamir, Tuesday, September 11, 2012, 14:38 (4243 days ago) @ Stefan Peter

Stefan,

Distributing the .dll's is easy. All you need to do is set LicenseKey property in your code after you initialize the main objects.

This way no popup will be shown, and no need to provide/distribute license key/our install packages.

The only thing left to do once you copy your application and binaries to machine you wish to distribute is register the dll's using RegSvr32.

Regards,
Damba

by Stefan Peter, Tuesday, September 11, 2012, 14:53 (4243 days ago) @ wodDamir

The problem is that we don't have the possibility to write into the customers registry. The part where the ftp server etc. is used by our software won't be installed. The loading of the dll without the registry isn't the problem.
So it seems we have to hook into the registry API methods of windows and if your server requests the licence or the ICertificate interface we have to provide from our source code. :/

by wodDamir, Tuesday, September 11, 2012, 16:07 (4243 days ago) @ Stefan Peter

Stefan,

There's no license requests from our server. It will never connect to us in order to check license key.

All of these things you mentioned are done automatically in ActiveX. Once you run RegSvr32 and register the component interface id's are entered into registry. After that any ActiveX capable IDE can use component by it's class id.

Regards,
Damba

by Stefan Peter, Tuesday, September 11, 2012, 16:35 (4243 days ago) @ wodDamir

As I stated before: We can't write into the registry. The part of our software running at the computers of the customers of our customers may not install anything including entries into the registry. ;)

by woddrazen, Tuesday, September 11, 2012, 17:01 (4243 days ago) @ Stefan Peter

Stefan,

Which development environment you are using?

Drazen

by Stefan Peter, Tuesday, September 11, 2012, 17:23 (4243 days ago) @ woddrazen

DevStudio 9.0 with good'ol C++ :)

by woddrazen, Tuesday, September 11, 2012, 19:07 (4243 days ago) @ Stefan Peter

Stefan,

There are some environments like VB6 where you can use dll without registering it. Maybe you can check if this is possible with DevStudio 9.0. Unfortunately we are not DevStudio gurus.

To see how this works you can find here guide for VB6:
http://community.flexerasoftware.com/showthread.php?t=149554

Drazen

by Stefan Peter, Friday, September 21, 2012, 09:57 (4233 days ago) @ woddrazen

Hi,

hmpf, again... the problem isn't the loading of dll with out them beeing registered. The problem ist that the dll is requesting a licence key from the registry. We won't and we can't put our purchased key into the registry of our customer and our customer's customer.

Isn't there a possiblity to provide the key for dll in our code? Kind of

Load DLL
Set Licencekey

by wodDamir, Friday, September 21, 2012, 10:22 (4233 days ago) @ Stefan Peter

Stephan,

But that's exactly what we're saying. You don't need to write or read to registry yourself. All you need to do is set LicenseKey property in your code before calling Connect method.

The only thing you do *have* to do is call RegSvr32 on the .dll.

Regards,
Damba

by Stefan Peter, Friday, September 21, 2012, 13:28 (4233 days ago) @ wodDamir

Damnit, that's exactly what we were looking for and have overseen in your manual. :/ Thanks for pointing to this property. :)