Windows Firewall / Connect command - WeOnlyDo Discussion board

Windows Firewall / Connect command (wodVPN)

by Patrick, Thursday, October 06, 2011, 10:12 (4579 days ago)

Sorry guys, need to spam the board again.

1.) I was under the impression that wodVPN goes through most firewalls out of the box. When I try it on Windows Server 2003 Standard (the only remote machine I currently have access to) it is always asking me to add a firewall exception / unblock the connection. Although this is just one click, it would be nicer to not have this thing. Teamviewer seems to be working without quite well.

2.) In your example I need to press a button to call the connect command. What if I like to fully automate the connection process. Both sides need to search (right?) but should both sides call connect when their search has ended? Or is it fine/better (and goes through NAT on both sides) when just one side connects? What is best practise here / your recommendations?

Thanks!

Re: Windows Firewall / Connect command

by woddrazen, Thursday, October 06, 2011, 10:41 (4579 days ago) @ Patrick

Hi Patrick,

wodVPN can go thought firewalls, NAT-s... However this is local firewall, so you need to unblock connection first.

Both sides should search for each other. When they are foun, only one side can issue Connect Method to connect.

You can put Connect Method inside SearchDone Event. So you don't need to use any button. It will be automated.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Drazen

by Patrick, Thursday, October 06, 2011, 11:00 (4579 days ago) @ woddrazen

Thanks for your reply.

How does teamviewer manage to go through this? No need to unblock anything there. Do you have plans to improve your component in this direction?

I thought it would be relevant for the hole punching that the right side or both sides initiate the connection.

by woddrazen, Thursday, October 06, 2011, 11:50 (4579 days ago) @ Patrick

Patrick,

I just tried this out and I didn't received any warning from Windows 2003 to unblock wodVPN connection. Windows firewall is turn on.

Also I notice that TeamVeiwer is on Windows Firewall exception list. What happens if you remove it completely from there? Does it still works on your side?

On my side it works but for some reason wodVPN is working also.

Hole punching is initialized when Search is called. When they are found and connection is possible you can call Connect Method. It's same which side call Connect Method.

Drazen

by Patrick, Thursday, October 06, 2011, 12:49 (4579 days ago) @ woddrazen

Thanks! I will check that.