Timeout issues with FTP? - WeOnlyDo Discussion board

Timeout issues with FTP? (wodFtpDLX / wodFtpDLX.NET)

by Henri Cook, Monday, May 10, 2010, 15:42 (5072 days ago)

We use wodFtpDLX.NET to transfer files to an (admittedly) slow server in New Zealand from the UK.

Using Filezilla I get about 61k/s at best, using PASV. When we use the WOD component we often get timeouts, often after part of the file has already transferred. e.g. 50MB may transfer then the connection will 'timeout' and trigger an error. We don't see this issue with any of the other clients that we deliver to

My question then is: Is there some sort of minimum theshold which could be making the FTP component time out. And is there a way to alter it?

It could be packet loss but I can't ping the box to confirm it, the admins have blocked pings and the timezones make them pretty unavailable to us.

We have quite a complex app and we haven't upgraded our library version for a while - i'd rather avoid it if possible unless there is some guaranteed fix that someone knows about in later versions - our version is: 2.7.3.325

Re: Timeout issues with FTP?

by wodDamir, Monday, May 10, 2010, 15:48 (5072 days ago) @ Henri Cook

Henry,

Does this happen always after a certain time has elapsed, or it's completely random?

What is your Timeout property set to? Does timeout occur if you set it to 0?

One more thing. Are you sure you're using wodFtpDLX.Net? Or perhaps wodFtpDLX ActiveX? I'm just checking, since we never released the version you're reffering to. The latest (current) is 1.6.0.

Regards,
Damba

by Henri Cook, Monday, May 10, 2010, 16:05 (5072 days ago) @ wodDamir

Sorry Damir, this does appear to be the ActiveX component, I have a reference called 'wodFtpDLXComLib' in my visual studio which looks like it's an automatically generated interface for the files in Windowssystem32:

- wodFtpDLX.dll (Version 2... as above)
- wodFTPDLX.ocx (Version 2... as above)

Thanks,

Henri

by woddrazen, Monday, May 10, 2010, 16:19 (5072 days ago) @ Henri Cook

Henri,

OK same applies to wodFtpDLX.

What happens if you lower buffer size value using BufferSize Property?

Also please change Timeout Property to 0. So wodFtpDLX do not auto disconnect from your server.

Drazen

by Henri Cook, Tuesday, May 11, 2010, 11:38 (5071 days ago) @ woddrazen

Henri,

OK same applies to wodFtpDLX.

What happens if you lower buffer size value using BufferSize Property?

Also please change Timeout Property to 0. So wodFtpDLX do not auto disconnect from your server.

Drazen

Thanks Drazen, i'm trying this now - any idea what the default timeout is? I can't find it anywhere in the docs

by woddrazen, Tuesday, May 11, 2010, 11:45 (5071 days ago) @ Henri Cook

Henri,

Default timeout value is 120 seconds.

Drazen