Load public key - WeOnlyDo Discussion board

Load public key (wodFtpDLX / wodFtpDLX.NET)

by Mark Smith, Thursday, January 22, 2009, 16:32 (5566 days ago)

Can I load a public key from a file that begins with 'ssh-dss ' and ends with 'int_iodi generated by genkey 200901201243' using WOD or KeyManager? This file is from a Unix server.

I have been given a public key to use with a remote server, and don't seem to be able to import this key. I had previously tested using a private key, and this seemed to work OK.

Thanks for any help!

Re: Load public key

by wodDamir, Thursday, January 22, 2009, 16:48 (5566 days ago) @ Mark Smith

Hi Mark,

I don't see a rason on why you would want to do that. Public key is used only for server (client doesn't use it).

Is there any particuliar reason why you need to load it?

Even if you load it, public key authentication would fail when you try to connect, since it would incorrect key pair.

Regards,
Damba

by Mark Smith, Thursday, January 22, 2009, 16:59 (5566 days ago) @ wodDamir

Thanks for the prompt reply!

I'm just getting my head round this - the other party has sent me the public key. Do I need the private key (& key phrase)? In my previous client testing I used the private key and key phrase, and connected/ftp'd ok.

Where does the public key get loaded? (if anywhere?)

Sorry for my ignorance, and thanks again for the help.

Mark.

by wodDamir, Thursday, January 22, 2009, 17:03 (5566 days ago) @ Mark Smith

Hi Mark,

Public key is loaded on server end. Client on the other hand needs to have (and load) Private key in order for Public key authentication to succeed.

As for the keyphrase, usually Private keys are password protected, although password isn't required.

Hope this helped.

Regards,
Damba

by Mark Smith, Thursday, January 22, 2009, 17:13 (5566 days ago) @ wodDamir

I think the fog is starting to clear.
To be sure - I DON'T need the public key...?

Thanks
Mark.

by wodDamir, Thursday, January 22, 2009, 17:15 (5566 days ago) @ Mark Smith

Mark,

That's correct. Public key is only needed on server side. Since you use client that connects to server, you need to have Private key loaded.

Regards,
Damba