Dll registration - WeOnlyDo Discussion board

Dll registration (wodXMPP)

by Raf, Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 16:35 (5637 days ago)

Hi all,
is there a method to connect to Gtalk server without Administrator Privilege? I have to distribute an application to customer that haven't high privilege. Many of them have Vista installed.
Is there ANY method to install dll or something else without Admin privilege?

Re: Dll registration

by wodDamir, Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 17:05 (5637 days ago) @ Raf

Hi Raf,

Unfortunately no, Windows Vista doesn't allow non-admin users to register dll's. However, you only need to register the component with admin privileges. Once registered, all users should be able to use it.

Also, you might try using some install software, like installshield etc. Perhaps that would work.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Damba

by Raffaele, Thursday, October 23, 2008, 08:57 (5636 days ago) @ wodDamir

In a domain situation, is there an option in group policy to let user install dll/ocx (with regsvr32 command) without inserting admin password?

by wodDamir, Thursday, October 23, 2008, 09:16 (5636 days ago) @ Raffaele

Raffaelle,

Not that I know of. I don't think that user that doesn't have admin privileges will be able to accomplish this.

Regards,
Damba

by Raffaele, Thursday, October 23, 2008, 09:31 (5636 days ago) @ wodDamir

Raffaelle,

Not that I know of. I don't think that user that doesn't have admin privileges will be able to accomplish this.

Regards,
Damba

But the domain administrator has privileges to change remote group policy. System admin make a change in the remote GP that have effect on every user in domain.

by wodDamir, Thursday, October 23, 2008, 09:37 (5636 days ago) @ Raffaele

Raffaelle,

Perhaps you should contact your system admin on such a possibility. I'm not aware of it, so I honestly can't help on this issue.

The problem is that RegSvr32 puts data into registry which needs admin access.

Regards,
Damba