Evaluation download - VC example doesn't allow sf - WeOnlyDo Discussion board

Evaluation download - VC example doesn't allow sf (wodFTPServer)

by Roy, Friday, May 04, 2007, 02:22 (6196 days ago)

The VC example works fine for SSH incoming connection, but doesn't work with sftp client. I use psftp connect to the server, it shows a message saying something like demo version can not be used for distribution... , do I need to change something to enable SFTP feature?

Thanks

Roy

Re: Evaluation download - VC example doesn't al

by wodSupport, Friday, May 04, 2007, 02:26 (6196 days ago) @ Roy

Roy,

that is a banner message, but after that PSFTP should continue and connect. DEMO should work correctly with any SFTP client.

Let me double-check that please.

Kreso

by wodSupport, Friday, May 04, 2007, 02:31 (6196 days ago) @ wodSupport

Which sample did you use? I tried PSFTP against VB sample called 5. SFTP Server and all worked ok. I got same message in PSFTP but it continued. Here are my results:

Using username joe .
joe@localhost's password:
This is demo version of WeOnlyDo! SSHD ActiveX component, for evaluation purpose
s only. You are not allowed to use this product in production environment.
Remote working directory is /
psftp> dir
Listing directory /

Hope this helps.

Kreso

Re: Evaluation download - VC example doesn'

by Roy, Friday, May 04, 2007, 02:40 (6196 days ago) @ wodSupport

Hi Kreso,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I tried VC sample, after showing the banner, psftp window simply disappear.

If I use sftp that comes with cygwin, it shows the banner and then exits.

Thanks

Roy

Which sample did you use? I tried PSFTP against VB sample called 5. SFTP Server and all worked ok. I got same message in PSFTP but it continued. Here are my results:

Using username joe .
joe@localhost's password:
This is demo version of WeOnlyDo! SSHD ActiveX component, for evaluation purpose
s only. You are not allowed to use this product in production environment.
Remote working directory is /
psftp> dir
Listing directory /

Hope this helps.

Kreso

by wodSupport, Friday, May 04, 2007, 02:46 (6196 days ago) @ Roy

Roy,

problem with that sample is that it sends 'Welcome' text over SSH layer - same layer where SFTP sends its packet, and it violates SFTP protocol because of it..

To keep explanation clear, empty out ServiceRequest function and ServiceStart functions in the sample code, and all will work ok.[code]void CwodSSHDComEvents::ServiceRequest(LPDISPATCH User, long Channel, long* ServiceType, BSTR* ServicePath, long* Action)
{
}

void CwodSSHDComEvents::ServiceStart(LPDISPATCH User, long Channel, long ServiceType, LPCTSTR ServiceName)
{
}[/code]
Hope this helps.

Kreso

by Roy, Friday, May 04, 2007, 02:53 (6196 days ago) @ wodSupport

It works, thanks.
I'm going to do some load test on your SSHD server, is your sample application a good test? Or I have to do some tune up?

Roy

Roy,

problem with that sample is that it sends 'Welcome' text over SSH layer - same layer where SFTP sends its packet, and it violates SFTP protocol because of it..

To keep explanation clear, empty out ServiceRequest function and ServiceStart functions in the sample code, and all will work ok.[code]void CwodSSHDComEvents::ServiceRequest(LPDISPATCH User, long Channel, long* ServiceType, BSTR* ServicePath, long* Action)
{
}

void CwodSSHDComEvents::ServiceStart(LPDISPATCH User, long Channel, long ServiceType, LPCTSTR ServiceName)
{
}[/code]
Hope this helps.

Kreso

by wodSupport, Friday, May 04, 2007, 08:44 (6195 days ago) @ Roy

Roy,

should be good enough to accept connections, which is I believe only thing that concerns you during load tests.

If you plan to use it for transferring files, I suggest to try out wodFTPServer instead which also supports SFTP, and can put each connection into separate thread - will make things a bit faster.

Kreso

by Roy, Saturday, May 05, 2007, 00:44 (6195 days ago) @ wodSupport

Hi Kreso,

I just download wodFTPServer as you suggested. The load test doesn't look good. A few simultaneous connections would crash the server. The server is built from the #3 VC sample code. No changes were made.

I actually run the same load test on freeSSHD, which claims to share the same code with wodSSHD. The result is much better, although connection drops do happen, it can handle hundreds of simultaneous connection.

Did I do anything wrong in the wodFTPServer test?

And do you provide application similar to freeSSHD other than activeX control?

Thanks

Roy

Roy,

should be good enough to accept connections, which is I believe only thing that concerns you during load tests.

If you plan to use it for transferring files, I suggest to try out wodFTPServer instead which also supports SFTP, and can put each connection into separate thread - will make things a bit faster.

Kreso

by wodSupport, Saturday, May 05, 2007, 01:27 (6195 days ago) @ Roy

Roy,

where did it crash, in sample app or in wodFTPServer's code?

You can also look at www.freeftpd.com - similar to freesshd, but shares wodFTPServer's code.

Kreso

by Roy, Saturday, May 05, 2007, 02:36 (6195 days ago) @ wodSupport

I just tried freeftpd, which is pretty good. Here's a brief summary:

I have 5 clients, each creates 150 process to transfer a 4M file, the interval between subsequent connection is 1 second. So, totally 750 files are attempted.

The server is P4 3.0 G, 512M, Windows 2003 Server.

Results on various product:
1. freeSSHD
Around 650 done.
2. VC sample that comes with wodSSHserver
Around 450 done.
3. freeFTPD
678 done.
4. VC sample #3 that comes with wodFTPserver
Server crashes on CwodWinSocketWindow after a couple of connectiones established, no files completed. I can send you a snapshot if you need.

We are looking for a sftp server product which can handle basically the load I mentioned above. The freeFTPD looks pretty good, however, we need to build the program by ourselves so can not use it. Is there anyway you can help solve the VC sample#3 problem?

By the way, any patch requirement for VC6? The document doesn't mention need any patch so didn't appy any patch on our VC6.

Thanks

Roy

by wodSupport, Saturday, May 05, 2007, 10:10 (6194 days ago) @ Roy

Roy,

I will try to duplicate the crash issue.

As for the patch - I'm not sure I understand what you mean by it.

Kreso

by wodSupport, Monday, May 07, 2007, 11:25 (6192 days ago) @ wodSupport

Roy,

what kind of stress test did you perform to get the crash? I just tried with several simultaneous connections using psftp.exe and it worked ok for me (wodFTPServer using 3rd VC sample).

What else can I try to see the error?

Regards,
Kreso

by Roy, Monday, May 07, 2007, 19:06 (6192 days ago) @ wodSupport

The test is very simple.

I have a python script, which spawns a background process every one second. The background process simply connect to the server and transer a file then close the connection. I tried two file size, one 500k and another 4M, both crash the server almost immediately.

Roy

Roy,

what kind of stress test did you perform to get the crash? I just tried with several simultaneous connections using psftp.exe and it worked ok for me (wodFTPServer using 3rd VC sample).

What else can I try to see the error?

Regards,
Kreso

by wodSupport, Monday, May 07, 2007, 19:35 (6192 days ago) @ Roy

Roy,

can you send that script to techsupport@weonlydo.com ? BTW, yuo did test with wodFTPserver, correct? Not with some of its appliances, such as FreeFTPD? You used VC sample?

Kreso

by Roy, Tuesday, May 08, 2007, 02:32 (6192 days ago) @ wodSupport

I'll need to create a slimmed down version, I'll try do it when I find some time.

FreeFTPD works fine. It is the VC sample that has problem.

Roy

Roy,

can you send that script to techsupport@weonlydo.com ? BTW, yuo did test with wodFTPserver, correct? Not with some of its appliances, such as FreeFTPD? You used VC sample?

Kreso