Out of Memory Error using PutData method - WeOnlyDo Discussion board

Out of Memory Error using PutData method (wodSFTP / wodSFTP.NET / wodSFTPdll)

by WDS, Thursday, August 16, 2018, 18:22 (2051 days ago)

Trying to send large files using the PutData method. getting a "Out of Memory" error. Any suggestions. The reason we are using the PutData method over the PutFile method is due to the sensitive nature of the data being moved. We do not want to chance the SFTP failing and a partial file existing on a server.

Out of Memory Error using PutData method

by wodSupport, Thursday, August 16, 2018, 19:14 (2051 days ago) @ WDS

Hi,

what amount of data are we talking about? I'd like to duplicate this to see if we can somehow improve it. What component exactly are you referring to?

Jasmine.

by WDP, Thursday, August 16, 2018, 19:49 (2051 days ago) @ wodSupport

Hi,

what amount of data are we talking about? I'd like to duplicate this to see if we can somehow improve it. What component exactly are you referring to?

Jasmine.

So far the largest size file i have been able to send is 165,823 KB. This is being done thru a VB6 application running on Windows servers. I am trying to narrow down where the actual problem is originating. Is this a limitation of the PutData method or is there some other issue, maybe on the server, that is causing the problem. The exact error description is Error #: -2147024882 Source: Microsoft Cursor Engine Description: Out of Memory.

Are you able to tell me where the temporary file is created before it gets sent. The help file says it is created in the temporary folder. Is there a Temporary folder associated to WeOnlyDo or are you talking about the users temporary folder.

by wodSupport, Thursday, August 16, 2018, 21:44 (2051 days ago) @ WDP

Hi.

We create temporary file in whatever is returned as temporary folder for current user, and create random file with prefix "wod" there. Once file transfer is completed, we delete it.

So, perhaps it's safer - in case you deal with sensitive data, that you create temporary file by yourself and delete it afterwards, in which case you use PutFile instead.

I'm not sure how much data can be handled with PutData since this depends on your programming environment, but it's not expected to be hundreds of megabytes since we do also string conversion in it - and this could lead to potential issues with binary data.

Jasmine.