Small problem with public RDP - WeOnlyDo Discussion board

Small problem with public RDP (wodVPN)

by taliasimoneaux01, Saturday, March 01, 2014, 13:37 (3680 days ago)

Hi, i have a small problem with wodVPN working between a computer on a internal network and a public server.
I can open any port on the public server, it is a Windows 2008 R2 and can RDP connect to it, no firewall or NAT present, i started the wodVPN sample program on it and i get:

STARTED listening on port 65356

, but i am unable to connect wodVPN from my internal network to it.

When i fill the ip and port and click connect i get:
STATE Connecting
STATE Listening
DISCONNECTED

I must mention that i am using Step 2, connect to peer( if you know remote peer's ip..)
This method works on 2 PC's in the same network even when a PC is behind firewall.

On the public server i get no message that someone else is trying to connect to it, it just stay at : STARTED listening on port 65356
Is this situation possible or do i need to setup a mediator even if one of the computers is public?

Small problem with public RDP

by wodSupport, Saturday, March 01, 2014, 13:43 (3680 days ago) @ taliasimoneaux01

Hi.

It's very hard to say, but looks to me like UDP packets never reach remote side directly, so that's perhaps the reason why Windows server don't see connection attempts at all.

But without some duplication, I really cannot give more info on what could be possible problem here.

Kreso

by taliasimoneaux01, Saturday, March 01, 2014, 14:28 (3680 days ago) @ wodSupport

Is there a way to debug this?
I can't telnet to that port, but it seems it have to do with AOL, we are using aol proxy on the internal network pc to connect to internet, do you have any experience with this?
So we setup the same wodVPN on a pc that use a router to access the internet and it works, so it seems that aol is blocking the UDP packets or something,can a mediator solve this problem or is the same?

Or can we use regular TCP packets to connect?

Thanks

by wodSupport, Saturday, March 01, 2014, 15:06 (3680 days ago) @ taliasimoneaux01

Well, I'm not yet sure what the problem is. If UDP ports are used (and they are for wodVPN's transport), then how can you telnet to it?

Kreso

by taliasimoneaux01, Saturday, March 01, 2014, 15:20 (3680 days ago) @ wodSupport

I can't telnet, it's just weird that the wodVPN doesn't work with aol connection, maybe because that is too a VPN...

I tested Skype and some other software that use UDP to connect to servers and those are working.

I just want to debug this.. maybe we can make it work through the aol too. It seems that UDP ports are filtered by aol, if that is so, is there a solution to connect the PC from my private network to my public server, because the mediator use UDP ports too, so it's the same problem

by wodSupport, Saturday, March 01, 2014, 18:04 (3680 days ago) @ taliasimoneaux01

You can check if UDP works with mediator. Put MyName and PeerName to be the same, and then search for yourself. If mediator replies with search result, then packets are going through.

Kreso

by taliasimoneaux01, Sunday, March 02, 2014, 05:12 (3679 days ago) @ wodSupport

Great idea, but same result, through AOL software i get the timeout. I even installed AOL on the same pc and when i am connected to aol i can't connect to the mediator, without AOL everything is fine. If you want to reproduce this behavior, you just have to install AOL desktop (we are working with AOL 9.7 VR and AOL 8) and configure it to connect using the home network, you will have a 172.x.x.x ip address on any browser without setting any proxy or socks.
We use AOL as a free alternative to VPN but lately we require a more secure way to transfer data.
If you need any help with the AOL configuration i can provide a more detailed process with screenshots.

It may work if i setup a TCP VPN, can this be done with wodVPN? I will try to get a open source TCP tunnel and try it, will post my results here.

Thank you for your help.

by wodSupport, Sunday, March 02, 2014, 10:27 (3679 days ago) @ taliasimoneaux01

Hi.

Unfortunately wodVPN only supports UDP, so I am not sure what to do now. Even if there is some relay, there's still problem with mediator who also must use UDP.

There is one small possibility to use TCP directly to connect to remote, if you know exact public IP/Port on the remote, but in that case what do you need wodVPN for at all, if you can connect there with public address?

Kreso

by taliasimoneaux01, Sunday, March 02, 2014, 18:15 (3679 days ago) @ wodSupport

Mainly our concert is to send files from the public server to the client (securely) and what we are interested in is for the client to access some resources that the public server can share on a private port. The client will always know the ip/port of the server.

Can you share the method how to use TCP to create the VPN, maybe create a TCP tunnel for the initial connection or something so after a tunnel is created we can bypass AOL altogether?

In future we will quit using AOL, but for now some connections that we have depends on it so we have to rewrite some applications before that, and also we will make a server inside out private network to act as a mediator between out private clients and public server.

We have tested wodVPN and it's perfect for us, this is the last problem we are facing, also i have made the paperwork to get some founds to purchase your software and since we have about 10 programmers we will need about 10 Developer licenses.
Our company have 10 small offices around the town and each office will have one programmer that will develop small applications using wodVPN.

by wodSupport, Sunday, March 02, 2014, 18:51 (3679 days ago) @ taliasimoneaux01

Hi.

What programming language do you use? We may have a solution for TCP, but it depends on programming language.

Also, how will you solve problem with UDP mediator? You can't avoid UDP mediator at all, since it's used to locate other peers and must be UDP. Transport can be changed to TCP in a way.

Kreso

by taliasimoneaux01, Sunday, March 02, 2014, 19:18 (3679 days ago) @ wodSupport

Hello,

we are using c# mainly, but we have a few good c++ programers, and if we require some other language we can always hire a freelancer for the job.

We are going to make a server inside our private network that can communicate with the public server without aol, and set that as a mediator. but as the clients will still be connected to aol i don't know how the VPN will work.. over aol or over our internal server.

Thanks

by wodSupport, Sunday, March 02, 2014, 22:41 (3679 days ago) @ taliasimoneaux01

Hi.

Reason I asked is that we have non-published program that is not compatible with wodVPN, but has almost the same interface, it's much faster than wodVPN, and supports TCP/UDP transports. I can send it to you for testing.

I have VB.NET sample for it, it would take 2-3 days to rewrite it in C#, but if you can play with VB.NET (or C++...) it would help. It's written in C++ and is cross platform - so it works on all OSes.

If you're interested, please send email to techsupport@weonlydo.com

I think it will be officialy published within a week.

Kreso

by taliasimoneaux01, Monday, March 03, 2014, 13:30 (3678 days ago) @ wodSupport

I emailed you, waiting for your reply.

Thanks

by wodSupport, Monday, March 03, 2014, 14:31 (3678 days ago) @ taliasimoneaux01

Hi.

I replied about 30 minutes ago, it should have arrived by now.

Regards,
Kreso

by taliasimoneaux01, Monday, March 03, 2014, 15:17 (3678 days ago) @ wodSupport

OK, i got it,
can you also send a PHP version of the mediator for TCP ports, i want to test using mediator with peers from 2 private networks, and also the host name must only be IP based or can i just use my domain like domainname.de:port for direct connection to public server acting as a peer?

I will have a VB programmer visit me today and we will test everything, i see this dll is smaller and also doesn't need to be registered, great work.

And how can i specify the peer IP and port in that Hostname box on Step 2 - connect to peer? Is x.x.x.x:port correct?

by wodSupport, Monday, March 03, 2014, 16:28 (3678 days ago) @ taliasimoneaux01

Hmm. We don't currently have PHP version of mediator, only C script that runs on port 8001 on our mediator server. Also, this is not TCP mediator in any way, it still is used only for UDP and hole punching technique.

What hostname are you referring to? You should be able to use also FQDN hostname and IP address, whatever you prefer.

To specify 'peeraddress' argument in Link method (if that is what you refer to), check out what's returned in SearchDone - this is how it looks like.

BTW please let's continue devP2P discussion by email (techsupport) since it doesn't apply anymore to wodVPN and could confuse forum readers.

Thanks,
Kreso