Permissions - WeOnlyDo Discussion board

Permissions (wodAppUpdate)

by jasnew1969, Wednesday, April 23, 2008, 22:32 (5839 days ago)

When my software performs the update as a regular user, the permissions get skewed. Everything becomes accessible by the administrator only. The service is running, which I thought would take care of that. Ideas?

Re: Permissions

by woddrazen, Wednesday, April 23, 2008, 23:24 (5839 days ago) @ jasnew1969

Hi,

Which OS are you running? I have just tried on windows Vista Business as regular user and update worked without any issue.

Did you perhaps try with our sample. What happened?

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,
Drazen

by jasnew1969, Thursday, April 24, 2008, 00:27 (5839 days ago) @ woddrazen

The machine I'm testing on is running Windows XP Pro. I tried your sample it works as long as the files aren't deposited in the windowssystem32 directory. If I left it in a directory that was writeable/readable to everyone it works ok. Putting it in the system32 directory and it didn't work.

by woddrazen, Thursday, April 24, 2008, 09:37 (5839 days ago) @ jasnew1969

Hi,

I have just try it and it works for me if I use for update windows System 32 folder. I have tested on Windows XP SP2 with regular user.

What version of wodAppUpdate you are using? You can check version using wodAppUpdate Version Property.

Latest version is 1.3.0.81.

If problem persist with latest version. Is there any chance that you can send us some sample that will duplicate your problem? You can send your private information to techsupport@weonlydo.com

Drazen

by jasnew1969, Thursday, April 24, 2008, 15:28 (5838 days ago) @ woddrazen

I tried with your sample and got the same result. When it tries to update the updemo.dll, it errors out and says it can't delete the file. If I rerun it as administrator, it runs fine. The service is running, but unless I have admin priveledges, it won't let me access any file in the system32 folder. Yes I am running the latest version

by woddrazen, Thursday, April 24, 2008, 16:06 (5838 days ago) @ jasnew1969

Hi,

Can you please send us some example to techsupport@weonlydo.com I'm unable in duplicating your issue. It works for me.

Maybe you have some firewall? What is value of ServiceIsRunning Property when you request update as regular user?

Drazen

by jasnew1969, Thursday, April 24, 2008, 17:04 (5838 days ago) @ woddrazen

I thought maybe it was another service causing it since none of the files are being updated except in the app directory, so I manually killed it. It was included in the cmd before to net stop the service, but it wasn't actually stopping it.

Even with that service stopped, it still wasn't updating the files in the system directory. I sent you a sample. If you see something I'm doing wrong, let me know. I can even setup the test machine so you can vnc to it and see what I'm saying.