Overwriting/Not Overwriting - WeOnlyDo Discussion board

Overwriting/Not Overwriting (wodSFTP / wodSFTP.NET / wodSFTPdll)

by sisank, Saturday, September 11, 2004, 08:09 (7161 days ago)

Hello,

While downloading multiple files (using GetFiles() method), how do I set options like overwrite or No Overwrite the existing files on User PC ?

Thanks for your help.

Re: Overwriting/Not Overwriting

by wodSupport, Saturday, September 11, 2004, 10:33 (7161 days ago) @ sisank

Sisank,

wodFtpDLX would overwrite without question, but LoopItem event is fired before each download/upload. You can set Skip = True in this event for particular file, and component will not overwrite it. Is this what you had in mind?

Regards,
Kreso

by sisank, Saturday, September 11, 2004, 11:42 (7161 days ago) @ wodSupport

Kreso,
LoopItem will do what I need. But I am wondering why didn't you include the ability to pass a boolean paramter (true/false) to GetFiles() method overwrite or not.

BTW, Is there a simple way to copy/move a file from one folder to other folder on the FTP Server ?

by wodSupport, Saturday, September 11, 2004, 15:37 (7160 days ago) @ sisank

Sisank,

you need overwrite, other customer may need truncation, other customer may need something else, etc.. We need to find some optimum in what to support and what can be easily implemented by your code - I think overwrite is one of these things.

As for copy/move - thsi is up to server. You can try to Rename file to different folder - such as

Rename /home/joe/somefile , /tmp/somefile

but I don't promise server will accept this - so you must try.

Kreso

by sisank, Saturday, September 11, 2004, 16:10 (7160 days ago) @ wodSupport

Kreso,

Rename didn't work with Serv-U.

I need to be able to copy/move single/multiple files from one folder to other folder on FTP Server.

Ours is a Medical Transcription company and we use this feature a lot.Right now we are doing it maually.

This Feature is very important for us, How difficult is it for you to add this feature in WodFtpDLX ?

Thanks for your help.

by wodSupport, Saturday, September 11, 2004, 18:05 (7160 days ago) @ sisank

Sisank,

I would love to add it - but this is (I think) impossible. I cannot force server to move file since there's no such command in FTP or SFTP protocols at all. I can upload, download, rename - but 'remote move' just isn't in protocol declaration.

Most servers support Move through Rename. Let me try with Serv-U (I can contact the author to see if this is *somehow* supported) by myself, perhaps I dig it out.

Kreso

by wodSupport, Saturday, September 11, 2004, 20:24 (7160 days ago) @ wodSupport

Sisank,

Serv-U author confirmed that doing rename on the server, and specifying different folders, would actually move file. I haven't personally tried - I will.

Kreso

by wodSupport, Saturday, September 11, 2004, 20:29 (7160 days ago) @ wodSupport

I tried it and it works.

I had file C:\TEMP\WINHELP.EXE, and wanted to move it to C:\ under different name, and this command worked for me:

[code]Ftp1.Rename /c:/whelp.txt , /c:/temp/winhelp.exe [/code]

Can you try something similar?

by sisank, Saturday, September 11, 2004, 21:41 (7160 days ago) @ wodSupport

Kreso,

It's working now.

It didn't when I use the following line of code

Call Ftp1.Rename ( /09.11.2004/Btn.xls , /08.09.2004/Btn.xls )

But, it worked with below line.
Ftp1.Rename /09.11.2004/Btn.xls , /08.09.2004/Btn.xls

Thanks for your help

You guys are the best